Our body geometry is different. Manufacturers provide saddles with different widths. Saddle width is first you should know before choosing your saddle. The correctly chosen saddle will provide comfort and enjoyment for the ride. What size is right for you?
Firstly you should know the distance between your sit bones. Men have in average distances from 110-140mm (one hundred and ten to one hundred and forty millimeters) and women from 110-150mm (one hundred and ten to one hundred and fifty millimeters).
There are few methods to determine individual sit bones distance. My method, which I call “Damp Spots” is the very simple process, and everyone can do it even at home.
Which tools you will require:
- Stool or chair with hard flat surface;
- Letterhead (or A4) size paper;
- Paper towel;
- Water spray bottle;
How to do your sit bones measurement:
- Find a flat surface, where you can sit. I use a wooden stool.
- Spray water on the paper towel. Don’t overdo it.
- Cover stool with DAMP paper towel.
- Put white Letterhead (A4) format page on the paper towel.
- Sit on letterhead for 5 seconds. Your legs should be at about 30 degrees to the ground. It is essential for proper measurement.
- Stand up and take the letterhead. Find your pressure centers and mark with the marker as X or dot. Try to make marking as fast as possible because wet spots can disappear after a couple of minutes.
- Measure with a ruler distance between dots. Now you know the proper distance.
For double check, take measurements few times.
When you got your measurement, you need to add 20mm. In my situation, the distance between my sit bones is 110 mm. I should add additional 20mm (10mm from each side). Now my final result is 130mm. It means that my saddle width should be minimum 130mm. I’m using 145mm which provide more support and I find it more comfortable.
It is available to go to the local bike shop and try to make measurements. Official partners of saddle producers have special tools. Here is an example of one of them.
Specialized measurement tool. Specialized tool has the same idea as my method but looks more professional.
Now you know the method how to measure your sit bones at home. It will help you to narrow the saddle choice, and it will be easier to find your comfortable saddle.
Leave your comments below and don’t forget to share this article.
Thank you. Enjoy cycling, and I will see you next time!
How Useful Cycling Water Bottles in Keeping Temperature? Test included.
Hydration is essential and sometimes overlooked while cycling. You will require a bottle to keep the water with you during...
Why I’m Using 3 Bicycle Pumps?
Cycling pump is one of the essential tools you must have if you are riding on the road bike. Pumps...
Tips You Should Know About Clipless Pedals and Shoes
Why road bike cyclist use clipless pedals in combination with fancy shoes? Can I ride my bike without them or...
60 seconds Check Before Every Ride
In this article, I’m going to show top 4 things to check before every ride I follow personally. It will...
Long-Term Review of Muc-Off Team Sky Hydrodynamic Chain Lube
Hydrodynamic Chain Lube is positioned as race oil. We like tools, which use Pro riders. But, how this oil works...